Kennel Connection 7 is compatible with Windows 7 or higher operating systems. Windows 10 is STRONGLY recommended.
Important: If you are looking to install Kennel Connection 7 on your server/main computer and you DO NOT already have SQL Server installed, this is the incorrect guide. Click on Installing Kennel Connection 7 & SQL Server for the correct instructions.
Note: In order to successfully install and configure Kennel Connection, you must be logged into each computer as the Administrator.
1. If you do not already have the KC7Setup.exe file, download Kennel Connection 7 Full Installation from the support website. (If you do not see the download links, your support plan is expired.)
2. Login and click on Full Installations on the left hand menu. Then over to the right click the KC7 Download button.
3. Now click on "Updates" under the Download Center on the left. Over to the right locate the latest KC7 update file. Download that file as well.
4. Once the files have finished downloading, run the KC7Setup.exe and proceed through the installation. Make sure you're installing to an internal hard drive. We strongly suggest C:\KC7.
5. Click Next and install. The KC7 software will now install. Once it completes, click Finish to close the wizard.
6. Locate the latest KC7 update file you downloaded and install that as well. (It will automatically install to the installation directory of KC7.)
*Once the update install finishes, close the wizard but do NOT open Kennel Connection.
This has completed the install of KC7 software and it's latest update but now you need to configure KC7 to point to the database on the host machine.
Configuring Kennel Connection 7 to point to an already existing SQL Server/Database.
*Note that your server info will differ from what is shown in these screenshots.
Since this is a workstation, you must have a mapped drive setup that points to the KC7 folder on the server/host computer. If you do not have one, please map it now. We recommend using the letter "K" for Kennel Connection. The KC7 folder on the server/host computer should have the user "Everyone" with full permissions set. If you need assistance with mapping click here: Mapping a network drive for Kennel Connection 7
Once the mapping is complete or if you already have a mapped KC7 drive, open that mapped drive and locate the wkennel.ini file and open it into notepad.
Scroll down to the SQL Parameters section and select and copy the section as shown here in red:
Once copied to your clipboard, close out of note pad and close out the mapped drive. Now open your local install of KC7 (C:\KC7) and open the wkennel.ini file inside there.
In the top section, point KC to use your mapped drive by changing the Datadrive=C to Datadrive=K (or whichever letter you used for the mapped drive.)
Also change DataDir=KC7 to DataDir=
Since you've mapped the drive directly to the KC7 folder on the server/host machine, you do not need to specify a directory.
Next, scroll to the bottom and paste the SQL settings that you copied into the [SQLServer] section.
Save your changes and close the wkennel.ini file.
That's it. The local workstation Kennel Connection is now pointed to the mapped drive and to the SQL server/database on the server/host machine. You should now be able to launch the KC software on the workstation and see your data from the server/host.
If your attempt to launch KC fails, please check firewall exceptions on the host/server machine and add them if not already there: Adding SQL Server Exceptions to Windows Firewall. Then try again.