Kennel Connection 7 is compatible with Windows 7 or higher operating systems. Windows 10 is STRONGLY recommended.
Important: If you are looking to install Kennel Connection 7 on your server/main computer and you DO NOT already have SQL Server installed, this is the incorrect guide. Click on Installing Kennel Connection 7 & SQL Server for the correct instructions.
*Note that if you are upgrading from KC6 to KC7, you should use this guide instead: Installing KC7 to replace KC6 on a workstation
WARNING: During the setup of KC7, it will scan your network for available SQL instances. To prevent any installation issues on your main computer and workstations, you should disable your antivirus software before installing KC7. Upon completion of the KC7 install and before re-enabling your antivirus, make sure you add KC7.exe to your antivirus exception/exclusion lists to prevent it from deleting the software.
Note: In order to successfully install and configure Kennel Connection, you must be logged into each computer as the Administrator.
Warning: Do not speed through the installation by clicking Next repeatedly. Follow these instructions to ensure Kennel Connection 7 functions properly.
1. If you do not already have the KC7Setup.exe file, download Kennel Connection 7 Full Installation from the support website. (If you do not see the download links, your support plan is expired.)
Login and click on Full Installations on the left hand menu.
2. On the right, you will see the Kennel Connection 7.0 download link. Click on Kennel Connection 7.0 Full Install. When prompted to run or save, choose Save or click the drop down arrow next to the save button and choose Save As. Save the file to your desktop for easy access if possible.
Note: If you have NOT purchased KC7, you will have a demo download available. You will use the same install instructions.
3. Now click on "Updates" under the Download Center on the left. Over to the right locate the latest KC7 update file. Download that file as well.
4. Once the files have finished downloading, you will see the KC7Setup.exe and the latest KC7 update file in your downloads folder or wherever you chose to save it to. Many computers save to the Downloads folder if you were not given the option to choose. The file looks like this:
Double click the KC7Setup.exe first and if prompted, choose Run. (If Windows Smartscreen blocks this file, click the "more info" button and then run anyway.)
5. Once the installer is running, click Next until you get to the screen where it asks you where you want to install KC7 to. This is where you MUST make sure it says C:\KC7 or if you're installing to another internal drive it should be drive letter\KC7. If it does, simply click Next and continue the installation by clicking Next or Install until it finishes. Then click Finish.
If it does not show C:\KC7 as the install path OR you are installing to a different internal drive, proceed to step 6.
6. If it does not show C:\KC7, you must change it to show C:\KC7 or whichever drive letter you're installing to. Click on the Change button.
7. Click the drop down arrow and choose your C drive or whichever drive letter you're installing to.
8. You may now notice that the folder name only shows C:\. If it does, in the Folder name field, simply type in KC7 after the slash and then click OK.
9. Click Next and install. The KC7 software will now install. Once it completes, click Finish to close the wizard.
10. Locate the latest KC7 update file you downloaded and double click it to run it. (If Windows Smartscreen blocks this file, click the "more info" button and then run anyway.)
11. Click "Next" and the update will automatically install to the proper KC7 directory. When it completes, close the install wizard.
This has completed the install of KC7 software and it's latest update but now you need to configure KC7 to point to the database on the host machine.
Configuring Kennel Connection 7 to point to an already existing SQL Server/Database.
Please note that the below configuration wizard can be skipped by manually editing the wkennel.ini file, pointing the datadrive and applying the new SQL parameters. (If unsure of how to do this, proceed to the instructions below.)
1. Double click your new KC7 desktop icon. Instead of launching the software, this will now launch a configuration wizard. The new KC7 icon looks like this:
Click Next on the wizard to continue.
2. On this screen, you need to choose which type of machine this is. This document is for a workstation only. If you are looking to install KC7 on your server/main computer, and do not yet have SQL Server installed, this is the incorrect guide. Click on Installing Kennel Connection 7 and SQL Server for the correct instructions.
To continue with this install, choose the third option and click Next.
The wizard will now scan your computer and network to locate any existing SQL Server instances.
3. You now need to tell the wizard where to point to find the KC database.
A. If you have installed KC7 and SQL Server using the Kennel Connection Wizard on your server/main computer, click the drop down next to SQL Server instance name and choose the WKENNEL instance. It will look like this: YOURCOMPUTERNAME\WKENNEL.
B. Type in the SQL Server user ID: sa
C. Type in the SQL Server password: kc7000
D. Click the Test button. If those settings are correct, you will be alerted with a successful message.
E. Click on the Finish button to complete the configuration.
If the test fails or no SQL Server instance is found in the drop down, it means that there is something prohibiting the communication to the SQL Server across your network. Click on Excluding Kennel Connection 7 from antivirus and firewall applications for instructions.
Once KC7 has been installed and configured to your workstations, you will need to map a network drive to the KC7 folder on the server/main computer. Click on Kennel Connection 7 Networking Guide