Welcome to the installation guide for Kennel Connection 6.0. Please follow the instructions below to get Kennel Connection 6.0 installed on your machine.
Due to the security restraints within the Windows Vista/Windows 7 & Windows 8 operating environment, the directory in which Kennel Connection MUST be installed to is C:\KC6. Some spyware and virus protection software prohibit the installation of some of our controls. It is recommended that you temporarily turn them off prior to beginning the installation process.
Also, for best results during installation, please turn off the User Account Control.
Turning off User Account Control:
For Windows Vista: Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > “Change User Account Control Settings” > uncheck the box to use UAC > Click OK and reboot your computer.
For Windows 7: Start > in search box type UAC and click the link that appears for User Account Control. Then set it to “Never Notify”, click OK and reboot your computer.
For instructions on disabling UAC, click the appropriate link below:
Disabling the User Account Controls on a Windows 8 machine
Disabling the User Account Controls on a Windows 10 machine
Note: In order to successfully install and configure Kennel Connection, you must login to each computer as the 'Administrator.'
WARNING: Do NOT speed through the installation just by clicking next repeatedly. Please follow these instructions to ensure Kennel Connection 6.0 functions properly.
1 - If you don't not have the full installation or update file, you can purchase it with this link: https://kennelconnection.com/product/kc6-download/
Once you purchase the files, it will give you a link to download to your computer. Download to your desktop or whatever drive you would like. Right click on the file and click Extract All. It will have two files: KC6Setup.exe and KC6Update.exe
2 - Double click on KC6Setup.exe and run it.
3. Once the installer is running, click next, until you get to the screen where it asks you where you want to install Kennel Connection 6.0 to. Here is where you MUST make sure it says C:\KC6. If it does, simply click “Next” and continue the installation by clicking next until it finishes. Then click “Finish”
**If it does NOT show C:\KC6 proceed to step 4**
4. You’ll notice below, it does NOT show C:\KC6 so we must change it. Click on the “Change” button.
5. Click the drop down arrow and choose your C: drive.
6. You may now notice that the Folder name only shows C:\. If this is the case, simply type in KC6 after the slash and then press OK.
It should look like this:
7. After pressing OK, simply press the Next button until the install finishes. Then click “Finish”. Open Kennel Connection 6.0 once so it sets itself in your system. When brought to the business registration section, cancel out of it if you already have a 5.0 database to be converted.
Kennel Connection 6.0 has now been installed to your machine and is ready for use. You’ll see the Kennel Connection 6.0 Icon on your desktop.
8 - The next step is to install the update file. Double click on KC6Update.exe and click through the Installation Wizard to install it. Make sure it is installing the C:\KC6 folder. You can browse to find that folder if needed.
9 - Now you are ready to restore your backup to this computer. Click on this link for instructions.
10 - Kennel Connection 6.0 will automatically create a new DSN called wkennel6. This is what allows the printing/viewing of reports. If you notice any printing issues when you start using 6.0, you may have to create the DSN manually. Or if you are using SQL server, you will need to create the SQL DSN manually. Below you will find links to the support documents on creating DSN’s. Before viewing those documents please try this for both Access and SQL database systems.
Resetting your DSN: Open Kennel Connection 6.0 choose Utilities > ODBC > Reset DSN. If this is successful, you should now be able to print. If it fails, please choose the proper link below.
If the above reset did not work, please choose your correct link for setting the Access or SQL DSN:
Setting the Access DSN for Kennel Connection 6 on a Windows 8 machine
Setting the Access DSN for Kennel Connection 6 on a Windows 10 machine
Setting the SQL DSN for Kennel Connection 6