Microsoft has recently begun forcing the upgrade to Windows 10 on some machines. During this upgrade, some network, SQL server, and printing settings have been getting changed or returned to default. In some cases, this has caused issues opening Kennel Connection, connecting from workstations and printing properly. If you have recently upgraded either by choice or not by choice to Windows 10, these steps and links below will help you get your Kennel Connection software back on track.
1. **For SQL Database Users ONLY** If your main computer/server has just upgraded to Windows 10, you may run into an error when trying to open KC where it says the "SQL Server does not exist or access denied". This means that the upgrade to Windows 10 has stopped the SQL service from running and it must be restarted. Click here for directions.
2. **For SQL Database Users ONLY** If your main computer/server has just upgraded to Windows 10, you may run into issues where your workstations are getting the error "SQL server does not exist or access denied". If this happens, it means the Windows Firwall exclusions for SQL have been removed or, if you did not have the Firewall on previously, it has now been enabled. You will need to add SQL server exclusions to the Windows Firewall to allow the workstation to connect. Click here for directions.
3. **For any version of KC** If you are unable to open KC from your workstations after your main computer/server upgraded to Windows 10 and you receive an error about your mapped drive being invalid or that images may not be displayed, your mapped drive has become disconnected. Click on File Explorer icon on your Windows task bar (manila folder). Once inside, click on "This PC' on the left hand side. Look under 'Network locations' and you should see your KC6 mapped drive. This is usually letter K but it could be any letter. If it has a red X on it, double click to reconnect it. If the folder opens, you can now start KC. If you get prompted for a network user ID and Password, the Windows 10 upgrade has enabled the password protected sharing option on your main computer/server. Click here for instructions on how to disable the password protected sharing.
4. **For any version of KC** Windows 10 contains a new feature that controls your default printer. This setting allows Windows to set whichever printer you last printed to as your default. If you use multiple printers, such as a 8.5x11 printer, receipt printer, and PetDetect printer, you will need to disable this option. Click here for instructions.
5. **For any version of KC** During the Windows 10 upgrade, some printer drivers that were changed may get set back to Windows default. If you are using PetDetect printer, this can happen to you. If you attempt to print a collar after the Windows 10 upgrade and it either does not print or is formatted incorrected, you will need to adjust the PetDetect drivers. Click here for instructions.
6. **For any version of KC** If after the Windows 10 upgrade, you receive an error 20513 'invalid printer specified' when attempting to print a receipt through KC and you use a receipt printer, do the following. Open KC, click on File, System Options, Local tab. Be sure "Use Receipt printer" is checked. In the drop down menu, see if the receipt printer is listed multiple times. It may say Receipt Printer and Copy of Receipt Printer. You will need to test each one until you find the correct printer. Choose one from the drop down, hit Apply/OK. Click on Accounting, Receipts to print a receipt.